Born @ 27 weeks
2lbs 7oz

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Get Messy with Liz and Bee Mighty!

Liz Seegers, creator of The Art Room, is a talented artist and musician, inspiring teacher and philanthropist.

I first met Liz when I enrolled Nash in Music Together, a music class where he could experience different instruments and interact with children his age. It was a small attempt at 'normalcy' for Nash (and myself), while Shaw was in the hospital. I hoped this would create something for Nash to look forward to each week and time he and I could have together, amidst such chaos between home and the hospital.

Liz was our instructor and I immediately loved her, but I wasn't the only one. Nash was enamored with Ms. Liz. I couldn't tell if it was her sweet melody or her guitar, but his mouth gaped as he clung to every word she sang.

I never opened up to anyone in the class about our personal life and everything we had happening outside of the joyous place of Music Together. Nash and I would melt away, pretending that the hardest thing about our day was trying to get there on time.

Shaw took a few unstable turns and Nash and I missed some classes and finally stopped going all together. I later learned Liz had inquired about us, wondering why we disappeared from class. A mutual friend told her our story and of course, Liz graciously extended an open heart and invitation to attend make up classes.

Months passed. Shaw came home. Isolation came and went. We moved. Shaw got stronger. Nash continued to LOVE music. Then one day Liz contacted me. She let me know she had followed her passion and opened The Art Room, a safe place for children to experience art and music and textures and creativity and get dirty!

I learned that Liz by trade is a Special Education Teacher and she thought to reach out to us about how to approach creating a class for 'special' children. I knew her soul was dear, but this took my breath away.

We agreed to meet and a friendship (and insurmountable respect) was born.

As Liz continues to develop her classes and influence children, she has found her calling sharing her talent with the community. She is busy inspiring children and building relationships while giving back.

One of her many volunteer partnerships is Bee Mighty. Tomorrow, she is graciously opening her studio to benefit our foundation and make yet another impact on Charlotte. From 3:30pm - 5:30pm, children in the community are invited to attend a free art class. We will be creating a very special mural that will be unveiled at Presbyterian's Hemby Children's Hospital and welcome all those that visit the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Her inspiration: "Hope is the thing with feathers. That perches in the soul. And sings the tune without the words. And never stops at all." - Emily Dickinson

If you are in Charlotte, please drop by. Bring your kids. Let them play. Explain to them how lucky they are to be big and strong and how important it is to create hope for those that are struggling, even the tiniest of warriors.

Thank you, Liz. I am already inspired and in awe of your gentle heart and creative vision. I feel so lucky to have met you. I can't wait to see what we do tomorrow!


No comments: