Born @ 27 weeks
2lbs 7oz

Friday, May 4, 2012

Back at it

Days of playing in the woods came to an abrupt stop this morning, as we noticed Shaw's breathing became labored. We took our time getting home from the mountains, but knew quickly that we would either need an appointment with the ENT before the weekend or would be spending some time in the ER.

Although our ENT was not available, the head of the group (who is familiar with our case) agreed to squeeze us in. Grateful, shaw and I waited not-so-patiently in the waiting room from 2pm - 4:30pm (ugh). But I can't complain (even though that is like an eternity for entertaining a sick infant) - at least he agreed to see us!

Shaw's windpipe is swelling and his stridor is back. This causes alarm for two reasons 1) he is having trouble breathing and 2) it is getting worse.

The Dr suggested the following: ANOTHER round of antibiotics (this will be Shaw's fifth consecutive week on an antibiotic - alarming in and of itself) and steroids for five days. The intense dose of steroids will hopefully decrease the swelling in Shaw's windpipe, allowing him to breathe more freely.

If we do not see an immediate improvement in Shaw's breathing (after two doses), we are to take him directly to the ER.

Finger crossed. The good news is, after the mountains, we are all rested and capable to take on the next 'adventure'.

No comments: